Boppin' Along

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Boppin' Along

Forum for earth sensitives, world events, disasters, dreams, prophecies, visions, predictions.. everything and anything welcome here!

2 posters

Paging Sheila...

Redhart
    Redhart

Paging Sheila... Empty Paging Sheila...

Post  Redhart Thu 29 Apr 2010, 12:43 pm

Okay, I finally got here. I still can't get Earthboppin' up on my computer, but I can come here.

You had doggie questions over there (trying to remember). I have all day off today to chat lol.

Hit me with 'em, baby! Cool
    Sheila, Or.
    Sheila, Or.

Paging Sheila... Empty Re: Paging Sheila...

Post  Sheila, Or. Thu 29 Apr 2010, 5:33 pm

ah there you are, I just posted a reply and a possible solution to your problem with EB boards under your other post (can't remember which thread it's on now - more coffee!).
    Ok so here it is in a nutshell; Our little Bichon is coming into estrus. We just had her checked out and she's in good health, a little tartar on teeth but otherwise healthy. She's nearly 6 years old now, has no known genetic disorders, etc. We'd like to let her have one litter of pups before getting her fixed. I'd like to keep one of the pups for ourselves and for her. My sis wants one of them too.
    Just happens hubby found a person with a male Maltese that hasn't been fixed.
    Soooo, we would have Malteshons or as my daughter laughingly named them "bichteeses"! lol! We both had a good laugh at that one yesterday.

We have limited funds for pup shots so would have to give them the shots ourselves, and our vet mentioned something about a Canine STD which they have shots for. I've never heard of that before, have you?
    Also, I guess we wouldn't have to worry about all the AKC papers since the pups would be a mix instead of purebred. Ultimately, I think mix breeds are healthier and I love Maltese doggies as they are closely related to Bichons in that they don't shed hair, etc.
    So what do you think?
    Redhart
    Redhart

Post  Redhart Thu 29 Apr 2010, 6:47 pm

Sheila, Or. wrote:
    Ok so here it is in a nutshell; Our little Bichon is coming into estrus. We just had her checked out and she's in good health, a little tartar on teeth but otherwise healthy. She's nearly 6 years old now, has no known genetic disorders, etc.
    Age Seven is a common cutoff for breeding. You can breed bitches past that, but it isn't recommended. There is a much greater chance of complications in both the birth and the health of the puppies. If you don't do it now, I wouldn't recommend it later.

We have limited funds for pup shots so would have to give them the shots ourselves, and our vet mentioned something about a Canine STD which they have shots for. I've never heard of that before, have you?
    Was the vet talking about "brucellosis"? That is a canine STD that can be very serious. If neither dog has been bred before, there is little risk. *IF* the male has been bred to other females, it might be worth it to protect. You can request that the male get tested for this. There are some other, minor STDs that are more deadly to the puppies than the mother, but none that I can think of that have a vaccination for.

Also, I guess we wouldn't have to worry about all the AKC papers since the pups would be a mix instead of purebred. Ultimately, I think mix breeds are healthier and I love Maltese doggies as they are closely related to Bichons in that they don't shed hair, etc.
    So what do you think?
    Actually, AKC is accepting limited papers on some mixed breeds so they can compete in obedience, agility, etc.. But, I would leave that up to the puppy owners.

I'm not sure I agree that mixed is healthier than pure. Much depends on who is breeding the dogs and how carefully they have kept up the health, studied the lines, and ruled out breeding dogs with genetic health issues.

I've had purebreds that were exquisitely healthy--and mixed breeds that were not. Tazz, for instance, has always been very healthy...as has Sonnet. Dusty (pure) does have a heart defect, and has been neutered so that there is no chance of ever passing it on in the breed. If you go back in Dusty's line, there is no known case of a defect like his which goes to show that, even when you do your due diligence and check lines exhaustively, sometimes something just goes wrong...hidden recessives can pop up.

This being said, my Crickett (mixed breed lab/aussie) had epilepsy and the vet felt it was of the genetic type. Obviously, there must have been some on both sides of the gene pool...even if the parents weren't necesarily epileptic themselves (ruled out other forms of seizure disorders).

So, there you go. It's always a crap shoot. You can hedge your bets, however, by studying the lines and health of the lines behind both parents. You can keep dogs in excellent health and give them exceptional care. You can neuter any dogs that are not in excellent health to improve the health of future generations. And...you can discuss all this with your vet. Sounds like you have done this.

If you are going to vaccinate puppies yourself, be sure to do so under the vet's schedule of vaccination for puppies. Too early vaccination is wasted or too stressful on an immature system. Too late and the puppy is vulnerable and may not make it to the next vaccs. The most effective is on a very tight schedule which most vets can share with you--which vaccs are best at which time. Keep copius records and adhere to all protocols (refridgeration and safe keeping of vaccines or they can go bad). Be sure you review with your vet "how" to give vaccs...IM? SubQ? How do you give each kind? Have her show you if you do not know.

Be sure you read up and discuss calcium deficiencies in whelping bitches...pyrometriosis, signs of trouble, mastitis in whelping bitches, herpes in puppies (can be a killer), proper supplementation (ie: folic acid).

And lastly, make sure you compile a list of possible homes. Looks like you have a start, but for those you don't know...check them out (maybe a home visit), have them come and visit with puppies BEFORE they take them home--support them if they are new to raising puppies. Also, a good idea to have them sign a contract that if there comes a day they can no longer care for the puppy (or adult by then), that they have to call "you" first rather than dump a puppy at the shelter (or older dog), thus giving you a chance to rehome the dog, take it inn or make other arrangements.

A good breeder is responsible for what they bring into this world...and all the joy/or suffereing it brings.

Hope this helps Smile
    Sheila, Or.
    Sheila, Or.

Post  Sheila, Or. Thu 29 Apr 2010, 9:04 pm

awww, thanks Redhart, I knew you'd straighten this out for us. I'm nearly arriving at the conclusion that we should just get her fixed and simply find another Bichon or Maltese since we love both breeds so much.
    It just seems like there's way too much risk even if we are so careful about diet, etc. Beside that, we are up to our limit on monthly bill payments so getting health insurance for her which was previously a good option, is now so darned expensive I'm not sure we can afford any of it.
    Also, even though she's never been with another dog, I can't be sure about the male so there you have it in a nutshell.
    I surely appreciate your timely info. Now I'm off to the pet store to buy some diapers for her. Kotex for dogs! lol!
    Redhart
    Redhart

Post  Redhart Thu 29 Apr 2010, 10:29 pm

I usually just go to the grocery store and buy "pull ups" (size 4T) for Sonnet...then cut a cross cut where her tail comes out.

Simple, clean and easy to change.

Of course, before she got used to them she would pull them off and fling them around the room. Very unladylike!
    Sheila, Or.
    Sheila, Or.

Post  Sheila, Or. Fri 30 Apr 2010, 12:31 am

hmmm, hadn't thought to check regular baby diapers. Our little one is just under 15 lbs so I did get the small doggie diapers at Petsmart - 13 bucks for a package!
    I'd bet "newborn" might fit her but am now stuck with the expensive stuff for now.
    Ha, I can just see Sonnet slinging the diap clear across the room in abject disgust.
    In other news, now I just went to EB again to see if I could still post now that I'm registered and wouldn't ya know, the troll has taken over earthwatcher's bd with a vengeance (again). I'm so glad you got here since the other one will most likely shut down again. Well, off to take a little nap before dinner.
    Hugs to you, the boys, Tex, the dogs, and y'all!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 5:46 am