Boppin' Along

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Boppin' Along

Forum for earth sensitives, world events, disasters, dreams, prophecies, visions, predictions.. everything and anything welcome here!

+5
Calibabe
Bill Silver Eagle
melinda
Polly, AZ
Paula/ swNM
9 posters

Anyone Planting a Garden?

Paula/ swNM
    Paula/ swNM

Anyone Planting a Garden? Empty Anyone Planting a Garden?

Post  Paula/ swNM Fri 05 Mar 2010, 3:25 am

Hello Everyone-
    I am really wondering how many people on these forums garden. I have been gardening and seed saving for years, but recently I have been taking it a lot more seriously. I think either outright food shortages or much higher prices are possible this year. Anyone else planning a garden this year?

It has been quite cold this winter, but I have had a nice winter garden in spite of it. Chard, kale, turnips, onions and garlic have all done fine under double row covers. I just finished planting snow peas and both white and red radishes today. I bought some additional onion starts (both white and red) at the local grocery store along with some red cabbage starts. I think it is going to stay cool for awhile yet. These plants can take the heat, but they grow better and faster in cooler weather.

Anyone have an herb garden? I have been growing many herbs for a long time too. Good basic knowledge of the medicinal uses of common culinary herbs is always useful knowledge, especially in these times. Spring is coming so get ready to plant that beautiful garden...it is such a place of peace and beauty.
    Blessings- Paula.
    Polly, AZ
    Polly, AZ

Anyone Planting a Garden? Empty Garden

Post  Polly, AZ Fri 05 Mar 2010, 3:35 am

Paula/ swNM wrote:Hello Everyone-
    I am really wondering how many people on these forums garden. I have been gardening and seed saving for years, but recently I have been taking it a lot more seriously. I think either outright food shortages or much higher prices are possible this year. Anyone else planning a garden this year?

It has been quite cold this winter, but I have had a nice winter garden in spite of it. Chard, kale, turnips, onions and garlic have all done fine under double row covers. I just finished planting snow peas and both white and red radishes today. I bought some additional onion starts (both white and red) at the local grocery store along with some red cabbage starts. I think it is going to stay cool for awhile yet. These plants can take the heat, but they grow better and faster in cooler weather.

Anyone have an herb garden? I have been growing many herbs for a long time too. Good basic knowledge of the medicinal uses of common culinary herbs is always useful knowledge, especially in these times. Spring is coming so get ready to plant that beautiful garden...it is such a place of peace and beauty.
    Blessings- Paula.

Wow Paula, I am jealous of your garden. Your winter garden sounds wonderful. It's been too cold up here this winter for anything except garlic. I will plant some type of garden this year, but have to change a few things around. The chem trails some years have taken my young plants out and the altitude here increases the strength of the sun 10 times so I have plants burn out brown in 2 days. The sun shade I put up last year was a lot better, but each year it gets harder and harder to grow a garden. Good luck with you garden Paula!
    melinda
    melinda

Anyone Planting a Garden? Empty Re: Anyone Planting a Garden?

Post  melinda Fri 05 Mar 2010, 4:09 am

i have started some seeds indoors with the HOPE to plant them in the ground.

tomatoes look real good...peppers ain't...not yet,

the garden i am doing this year is way simpler than the big field type i usually do,

last year was a disaster!

even the seeds were not!

glad i save seeds Surprised)

we shall see what happens.

i do not trust this weather...at all.

gonna flower bed my food crops this year...and maybe some raised type beds.

if my tomatoes do...i shall have over 1000 actual fruits Surprised)

that would be a lovely harvest.

we shall see...i'll let yall know as this experiment progresses.

love yall i do..and want to hear of yall doings.

melinda
    Polly, AZ
    Polly, AZ

Post  Polly, AZ Fri 05 Mar 2010, 6:13 am

melinda wrote:i have started some seeds indoors with the HOPE to plant them in the ground.

tomatoes look real good...peppers ain't...not yet,

the garden i am doing this year is way simpler than the big field type i usually do,

last year was a disaster!

even the seeds were not!

glad i save seeds Surprised)

we shall see what happens.

i do not trust this weather...at all.

gonna flower bed my food crops this year...and maybe some raised type beds.

if my tomatoes do...i shall have over 1000 actual fruits Surprised)

that would be a lovely harvest.

we shall see...i'll let yall know as this experiment progresses.

love yall i do..and want to hear of yall doings.

melinda

Melinda - did you know that Green Pepper plants can actually last for 3 years? I had an old timer tell me this and it works. At the end of the growing season I have been cutting my green pepper plants down to about 12" tall, dig them up and trim the roots a bit and pot them into large flower pots and take them into my sun room in a sunny window. Water them every 3 to 4 weeks and in late winter add some fertilizer with your water and they bloom. You can set them back outside when night temps are around 50 degrees. This year I tried something different and added fertilizer right after I brought them into the sun room and I have had a crop of green peppers all winter. You can do this for about 3 years and by then I have saved seeds and started other plants so now I have plants year round.
    Bill Silver Eagle
    Bill Silver Eagle

Post  Bill Silver Eagle Fri 05 Mar 2010, 2:36 pm

We'll be starting just a little under a 1/2 acre when we return in mid-April, though many of the bulb or tuber crops we may start in a week or so if the ground ever dries out enough that you can walk without sinking up to your ying-yang in mud.
    Calibabe
    Calibabe
    Admin

Post  Calibabe Fri 05 Mar 2010, 5:37 pm

Paula/ swNM wrote:Hello Everyone-

Blessings- Paula.

Count me in. I started some seedling plants about three weeks ago and everything so far looks good. I have tomatoes, beets, cauliflower, broccoli, squash (butternut, acorn, italian, & zucchini) cantaloupe, honeydew, carrots, peppers, parsnips, cucumbers, peas, onions, lettuce, scallions, eggplant, leeks, fennel, basil, rosemary, stevia, and mint. We already have a lemon tree that produces just a bumper crop of lemons. Also have a tangerine tree, 2 apple trees and I believe a pear tree. So between the fruit we have and the veggies we are going to plant I think we should be alright. Also looking at possibly planting some type of beans (black, red, navy, and black-eye) but need to make sure we have enough space. Our yard is fairly large so we don't have a problem with what we are going to plant so far. Also when some of the early crops finish we are going to put in fall plantings such as potatoes, cabbage and other fall plants to make sure that we have enough to last us through the winter. Also will look at getting another freezer(saw one at Sears that you could put a ton of stuff up in). So might be looking at that in addition to the small one we already have. Last year we had just tomatoes, lemons, peppers, and apples. This year we decided to do a full out garden so that in the event anything happens we have a good food source that is known to us.
    LindaMarie
    LindaMarie

Post  LindaMarie Fri 05 Mar 2010, 11:44 pm

Can't wait to start my garden. I should be able to plant my peas within the next couple of weeks. May even try one of those topsy turvey things this year for my tomatos.

I still harvest 4 o'clock seeds from the ones you gave me years ago Melinda! rabbit
    Grits
    Grits

Post  Grits Sat 06 Mar 2010, 3:14 pm

I'm planning a small garden this year. It will be my first garden in about 10 years.

I'll do most of mine with plants (my son-in-law is in the plant business which comes in handy tongue ) but I ordered an heirloom seed catalog which has not arrived yet so I hope it comes in time to do some experimenting with various seeds...and I just think in this day and time having seeds on hand is a good idea.

Will probably break ground in April and get to work...

Planning on planting: butterbeans, peas, okra, tomatoes, peppers, squash, and canteloupe for sure...and maybe green beans, broccoli and some fun things for the grandkids (popcorn, pumpkins, sunflowers...not sure yet).

We have a freezer that is about empty and I hope to fill it up and maybe can some stuff too. I don't have any canning supplies anymore so will have to buy everything...sigh
    melinda
    melinda

Post  melinda Sun 07 Mar 2010, 5:52 am

LindaMarie wrote:Can't wait to start my garden. I should be able to plant my peas within the next couple of weeks. May even try one of those topsy turvey things this year for my tomatos.

I still harvest 4 o'clock seeds from the ones you gave me years ago Melinda! rabbit

:O) bless those seeds! they came from great grandmaw...and no one knows where she got them from!

~lindamarie~

i made a video for you years ago..of this little acre i life upon.

it was terrible...because my video camera was slowly breaking down.

i am the sort that goes with the flow of life.

wow! how far we have been my friend.....

you are the angel that saved the little book that was written after i saw the angel standing in the west wearing the storm clouds.

i had burnt that book...those hand written words in my sacred fire.

they mean a lot for some reason...

you are an angel of love

for someone out in this world needed to read those words...for some reason

i have the beautiful dried flower friendship framed purdies that you sent to me.

they are on the shelf aside papw snipes' mama's clock that we inherited...our treasures

your beautiful friendship gift...is on my mantle...a treasure

a family treasure

thanks so dearly for being my friend in a time when i had only enemies!

i reckon, no one else upon tjis earth would have taken the time to do what you did...with such simple and dum words from a woman like me,

lindamarie...you rock! louder than the earth quakes...

for doing something so simple for a woman so dum

the words are what was important

i guarantee

blessings and thankee

from an humble soul
    melinda
    melinda

Post  melinda Sun 07 Mar 2010, 5:56 am

Grits wrote:I'm planning a small garden this year. It will be my first garden in about 10 years.

I'll do most of mine with plants (my son-in-law is in the plant business which comes in handy tongue ) but I ordered an heirloom seed catalog which has not arrived yet so I hope it comes in time to do some experimenting with various seeds...and I just think in this day and time having seeds on hand is a good idea.

Will probably break ground in April and get to work...

Planning on planting: butterbeans, peas, okra, tomatoes, peppers, squash, and canteloupe for sure...and maybe green beans, broccoli and some fun things for the grandkids (popcorn, pumpkins, sunflowers...not sure yet).

We have a freezer that is about empty and I hope to fill it up and maybe can some stuff too. I don't have any canning supplies anymore so will have to buy everything...sigh

o ~grits~ how i always enjoyed your posts!

yes...my gardening friend...let we all experiment and learn gardening in our own special way, eh?

my daddy in law always says...planting seeds in the soil is truly a gamble!

that is him being a smart ass to all of the senators talking about how terrible gambling is...LOL!!!

there ya go~
    Paula/ swNM
    Paula/ swNM

Post  Paula/ swNM Fri 12 Mar 2010, 5:01 am

Hello everyone-
    Looks like there are a lot of other gardeners out there and that is great! It is still too cold here to plant the warmer weather things,but I have planted onion starts and they are doing well. I have to keep them covered with row covers (agribon or reemay) to prevent dehydration. It has been extremely windy for about 4 days and tonight the temps are going to fall into the upper 20's again, but that should not damage the cold hardy plants. Peas and radishes are just beginning to emerge, they are slow because of the cool weather. I have some bell peppers, eggplant and cherry tomatoes from last fall that I wintered indoors. They go out on the porch in during the day if they are sheltered from the wind. The cherry tomatoes produced all winter. I hope the winds calm for a few days now and then and the weather warms a bit, so I can get some more planting done. have a great growing season everyone! Blessings- Paula.
    Conch23
    Conch23

Anyone Planting a Garden? Empty So excited to plant this year!

Post  Conch23 Fri 12 Mar 2010, 6:56 pm

Wow looks like there are a lot of green thumbs here! I have been planting a garden off and on for years. My broccoli, swiss chard & onion & garlic did well over winter. We did not have snow ~even when we had 18 inches one year the chard still kept on going. I have all my seedlings going now, too cold to plant for another month. Tomatoes, peppers hot peppers squash all kinds. Got some herbs going as well different mints & dill, chamomile a few types of grasses along with the standards basil oregano rosemary cilantro a lot of my medicinal herbs went by by years back never had time to replace them slowly working on that. Gonna try lemon cucumbers this year cukes usually don't do well out here in the desert. Watermelon and cantaloupe do really well froze a lot for smoothies over winter. I have 2 yr old peach & cherry trees, fig tree grapes asparagus are 12 years old and a newly planted blackberry bush. Stuggled with my fruit trees had a lot before but they died and could never really get anymore going. So far so good. I rooted a cutting from my peach tree and it is about 5 inces tall with 2 buds..so cute. Gonna try to get more fruit trees going. Will have to try that with the bell peppers I had such a good bunch last year. Also hope to can tomatoes. I did freeze a bunch of cherry tomatoes for sauce. Well how exciting to find so many into gardening. I hope we all have abundant crops~ Cheers & Blessings Sara cheers bounce
    melinda
    melinda

Post  melinda Thu 18 Mar 2010, 1:58 am

great grandmaw's garden that i transplanted is taking off like a rocket.

i am even seeing plants i forgot were there!

mind yall..these are flowers...not veggies.

we had a lot of rain this year...so much is coming
    up outta the soil.

i am amazed!

i'll let yall know when i post the photos.
    Grits
    Grits

Post  Grits Fri 19 Mar 2010, 11:47 pm

I FINALLY got my seed catalog. I'm definitely ordering their purple hull peas and speckled butterbeans (well they call them lima beans but Melinda and I know they are butterbeans, right Melinda? tongue ). Butterbeans, peas and okra are staples of the southern diet.

The catalog has some weird stuff in it also (the "Jelly Melon" looks especially interesting-see this link: http://rareseeds.com/2009/05/some-of-the-exotic-seeds-we-sell/), so I'm thinking of ordering a few oddities to grow for the grandkids.

Here is the catalog I ordered. You can order one free on the net.

http://rareseeds.com/

I'm on standby to go to Florida for the birth of my 4th grandchild, so the garden will have to wait a couple of weeks before I start it.

I love you
    LindaMarie
    LindaMarie

Post  LindaMarie Sat 20 Mar 2010, 4:13 pm

Got my peas planted this morning. Still early here for anything else. Flower beds are cleaned up, butterfly bushes pruned down, daffodils are coming up and crocuses are blooming. I love this time of year when everything is starting to come alive again!
    Sheila, Or.
    Sheila, Or.

Post  Sheila, Or. Sat 20 Mar 2010, 7:07 pm

Grits wrote:I FINALLY got my seed catalog. I'm definitely ordering their purple hull peas and speckled butterbeans (well they call them lima beans but Melinda and I know they are butterbeans, right Melinda? tongue ). Butterbeans, peas and okra are staples of the southern diet.

The catalog has some weird stuff in it also (the "Jelly Melon" looks especially interesting-see this link: http://rareseeds.com/2009/05/some-of-the-exotic-seeds-we-sell/), so I'm thinking of ordering a few oddities to grow for the grandkids.

Here is the catalog I ordered. You can order one free on the net.

http://rareseeds.com/

I'm on standby to go to Florida for the birth of my 4th grandchild, so the garden will have to wait a couple of weeks before I start it.

I love you

thanks for the link to rareseeds. I'm ordering their catalogue. Speaking of rare, I'm planting my purple potatoes today! They are such fun to cook.
    Blessings to your future grandchild Grits, one more and you'll be caught up with my 5 grandkids. And now we have one great grandchild who is growing so fast.
    Hugs, Sheila
    Conch23
    Conch23

Anyone Planting a Garden? Empty Aarrghh Lost all my seedlings

Post  Conch23 Wed 24 Mar 2010, 2:21 am

Did not get home in time to bring the darlings in the house..Had to reseed everything..
    Big bummer.. at least I have more seeds~ Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm