Boppin' Along

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Boppin' Along

Forum for earth sensitives, world events, disasters, dreams, prophecies, visions, predictions.. everything and anything welcome here!

4 posters

Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots

Poll

Opinions

[ 1 ]
    Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots Vote_lcap133%Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots Vote_rcap1 [33%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots Vote_lcap10%Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots Vote_rcap1 [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots Vote_lcap133%Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots Vote_rcap1 [33%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots Vote_lcap10%Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots Vote_rcap1 [0%] 
    [ 1 ]

Total Votes: 3
    Poll closed
    Bill Silver Eagle
    Bill Silver Eagle

Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots Empty Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots

Post  Bill Silver Eagle Thu 04 Mar 2010, 3:05 pm

Washington (CNN) -- An air traffic controller and his supervisor are under investigation because the controller allegedly brought his two small children into the control tower and allowed them to speak with pilots on an air traffic control frequency.

The incidents occurred on succeeding days last month at New York's John F. Kennedy Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration said Wednesday. Both the controller and the supervisor have been placed on paid administrative leave.

"This lapse in judgment not only violated FAA's own policies but common sense standards for professional conduct. These kinds of distractions are totally unacceptable," administrator Randy Babbitt said in the statement.

"We have an incredible team of professionals who safely control our nation's skies every single day. This kind of behavior does not reflect the true caliber of our work force."

CNN NEWS Report

While I will agree with both the FAA and NATCA (controllers union) that the actions of the controller to allow their child to speak over the radio was unprofessional, that's about all. Yes it is a violation of protocol. But unlicensed controller-trainee's speak over the radio all the time, with their instructor plugged in with them. I feel this has been blown completely out of proportion by the media. Hell, over 30 years ago, on a midnight shift in Detroit, I got the opportunity to do this; it's what got me interested in the field that became a career for me from 1979-2002. I was either seventeen or eighteen at the time, and the controller was plugged in next to me.

Lapse in judgement? sure
    Degradation of safety? never
    Lack of professionalism? maybe
    Calibabe
    Calibabe
    Admin

Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots Empty Re: Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots

Post  Calibabe Wed 10 Mar 2010, 7:53 pm

Bill Silver Eagle wrote:Washington (CNN) -- An air traffic controller and his supervisor are under investigation because the controller allegedly brought his two small children into the control tower and allowed them to speak with pilots on an air traffic control frequency.

The incidents occurred on succeeding days last month at New York's John F. Kennedy Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration said Wednesday. Both the controller and the supervisor have been placed on paid administrative leave.

"This lapse in judgment not only violated FAA's own policies but common sense standards for professional conduct. These kinds of distractions are totally unacceptable," administrator Randy Babbitt said in the statement.

"We have an incredible team of professionals who safely control our nation's skies every single day. This kind of behavior does not reflect the true caliber of our work force."

CNN NEWS Report

While I will agree with both the FAA and NATCA (controllers union) that the actions of the controller to allow their child to speak over the radio was unprofessional, that's about all. Yes it is a violation of protocol. But unlicensed controller-trainee's speak over the radio all the time, with their instructor plugged in with them. I feel this has been blown completely out of proportion by the media. Hell, over 30 years ago, on a midnight shift in Detroit, I got the opportunity to do this; it's what got me interested in the field that became a career for me from 1979-2002. I was either seventeen or eighteen at the time, and the controller was plugged in next to me.

Lapse in judgement? sure
    Degradation of safety? never
    Lack of professionalism? maybe

I have a hard enough time flying as it is pale The last thing I would want to hear (on some planes you can listen to the transmissions from the plane to different air traffic controllers) is some child giving the pilot instructions. That would totally freak me out.

I think both controllers should be fired. It was totally unprofessional and put the lives of hundreds of people at risk both on the ground and those taking off or landing.

They should have known better. Rolling Eyes
    Betty in Texas
    Betty in Texas

Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots Empty Re: Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots

Post  Betty in Texas Wed 10 Mar 2010, 10:41 pm

My husband and I are both pilots--me just private, hubby Air Force Captain and private instructor. Our two sons are too. We all think it was blown out of proportion as do our friends--a Captain for American Airlines and a Captain for Continental. We have many other private pilot friends who are of the same concensus. No one was ever in danger. I think people were probably more in danger when I was first talking on the radio when I was getting my license! Wink

At no time was anyone in danger. Geez it is at times like this that you absolutely HATE the news media.

And they had the guy in Austin stealing his own plane! Rolling Eyes

Betty
    Barbara
    Barbara

Post  Barbara Wed 10 Mar 2010, 10:53 pm

I know, Betty, it was ridiculous! The parent was right there, in full control, no one was in amy danger. Whoever reported him must be a really petty, small-minded person!

Barbara

Air traffic controller, supervisor on leave after kids talk to pilots Empty wondered about that

Post  Guest Thu 11 Mar 2010, 4:40 pm

Betty in Texas wrote:My husband and I are both pilots--me just private, hubby Air Force Captain and private instructor. Our two sons are too. We all think it was blown out of proportion as do our friends--a Captain for American Airlines and a Captain for Continental. We have many other private pilot friends who are of the same concensus. No one was ever in danger. I think people were probably more in danger when I was first talking on the radio when I was getting my license! Wink

At no time was anyone in danger. Geez it is at times like this that you absolutely HATE the news media.

And they had the guy in Austin stealing his own plane! Rolling Eyes

Betty

A couple of pilots we know said exactly the same thing! Also that pilot error that happened a couple of months ago when they got off course - according to them - the media also got that wrong. HATE the mainstream media - words cant even describe that one Evil or Very Mad

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 5:39 pm