Boppin' Along

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Boppin' Along

Forum for earth sensitives, world events, disasters, dreams, prophecies, visions, predictions.. everything and anything welcome here!

5 posters

? Why are there so many after shocks from the Chile Quake

Conch23
    Conch23

? Why are there so many after shocks from the Chile Quake Empty ? Why are there so many after shocks from the Chile Quake

Post  Conch23 Sun 28 Feb 2010, 10:46 pm

Seems like an awful lot of aftershocks? Wonder if it is the type of fault or what. Does it make pressure build up elsewhere? Any thoughts info input would be appreciated. Curious confused
    Blessings Sara
    NiteOwlSoCal
    NiteOwlSoCal

? Why are there so many after shocks from the Chile Quake Empty Re: ? Why are there so many after shocks from the Chile Quake

Post  NiteOwlSoCal Sun 28 Feb 2010, 11:46 pm

Conch23 wrote:Seems like an awful lot of aftershocks? Wonder if it is the type of fault or what. Does it make pressure build up elsewhere? Any thoughts info input would be appreciated. Curious confused
    Blessings Sara

I've been wondering the same thing. I can't recall ever seeing quite so many aftershocks (covering such a wide area) before, not even after the Sumatra quake. Seems like that 8.8 in Chile made the entire area unstable.
    socalshakin
    socalshakin

? Why are there so many after shocks from the Chile Quake Empty Re: ? Why are there so many after shocks from the Chile Quake

Post  socalshakin Sun 28 Feb 2010, 11:54 pm

NiteOwlSoCal wrote:
    Conch23 wrote:Seems like an awful lot of aftershocks? Wonder if it is the type of fault or what. Does it make pressure build up elsewhere? Any thoughts info input would be appreciated. Curious confused
    Blessings Sara

I've been wondering the same thing. I can't recall ever seeing quite so many aftershocks (covering such a wide area) before, not even after the Sumatra quake. Seems like that 8.8 in Chile made the entire area unstable.

This was a huge quake and occured on a subduction zone, so I am not surprised by the amount of aftershocks. They'll likely die down over the next week.
    Conch23
    Conch23

? Why are there so many after shocks from the Chile Quake Empty Thanks for the replies Sumatra was also a subduction zone if I remember correctly

Post  Conch23 Mon 01 Mar 2010, 12:15 am

So the earth is still settling and having more movement and this must be a normal cycle for the subduction quakes.
    Jeez how awful having all those aftershocks with streets and buildings ready to crumble even further..
    Thought I just felt a quake here.. ?? What was that ? Thanks light & Blessings Sara Shocked
    NiteOwlSoCal
    NiteOwlSoCal

Post  NiteOwlSoCal Mon 01 Mar 2010, 12:19 am

socalshakin wrote:
    NiteOwlSoCal wrote:
    Blessings Sara

This was a huge quake and occured on a subduction zone, so I am not surprised by the amount of aftershocks. They'll likely die down over the next week.

I guess there WERE that many aftershocks following the 2004 Sumatra quake--I just didn't remember there being quite as many as for this 8.8 in Chile. I just did some searching and found this map (of Sumatra aftershocks):

? Why are there so many after shocks from the Chile Quake Neic_slav_fig72
    Conch23
    Conch23

? Why are there so many after shocks from the Chile Quake Empty well you are a magician Niteowl how did ya ever find that map Thanks... Lordie hope the Cascade region stays quiet.

Post  Conch23 Mon 01 Mar 2010, 4:24 am

NiteOwlSoCal wrote:
    socalshakin wrote:
    NiteOwlSoCal wrote:
    Blessings Sara

I guess there WERE that many aftershocks following the 2004 Sumatra quake--I just didn't remember there being quite as many as for this 8.8 in Chile. I just did some searching and found this map (of Sumatra aftershocks):

? Why are there so many after shocks from the Chile Quake Neic_slav_fig72
    Don in Hollister

Post  Don in Hollister Mon 01 Mar 2010, 5:33 am

Hi Conch23. The rupture is around 416 miles long so with that kind of rupture you're going to get a lot of aftershocks. Take Care...Don

https://2img.net/h/i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/Quakemeister/Chile88Mquake02-27-2010.jpg?t=1267421181[url][/url]
    Bill Silver Eagle
    Bill Silver Eagle

Post  Bill Silver Eagle Mon 01 Mar 2010, 3:02 pm

Didn't one of the "experts" on I think it was CBS during an interview say something that they "thought" the quake in Chile was a result of pressure on the Nazca Plate, and it was being pushed upwards?
    Don in Hollister

Post  Don in Hollister Mon 01 Mar 2010, 3:21 pm

Hi Bill. The quake occurred in Chile's Bío Bío region at the boundary between the Nazca and South America tectonic plates. Honduras lies between two different plates called the Cocos and the Caribbean. The southern boundary of the Cocos borders the Nazca, while the southern boundary of the Caribbean borders the South America and an edge of the Nazca. The Nazca plate is being pushed under the South America plate by the Pacific plate.

The last earthquakes in Honduras were recorded on February 11. They measured 4.9 and 5.1 on the Richter scale and caused relatively little damage. A magnitude-7.3 earthquake hit 80 miles off Honduras' Caribbean coast on May 28, 2009. That quake caused seven deaths and US$100 million in damages.

This area has many large quakes in the past and will have many more in the future. There will be some as large as the one that just recently occurred and some as large as the 1960 quake. Take Care...Don

http://projecthonduras.com/HTW/tectonic_plates.jpg
    Conch23
    Conch23

? Why are there so many after shocks from the Chile Quake Empty Thanks Don Did you seem my ? to you on the personal board..it's old now :( still. curious though forget which date the quake was from??

Post  Conch23 Tue 02 Mar 2010, 2:39 am

Don in Hollister wrote:Hi Conch23. The rupture is around 416 miles long so with that kind of rupture you're going to get a lot of aftershocks. Take Care...Don

https://2img.net/h/i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/Quakemeister/Chile88Mquake02-27-2010.jpg?t=1267421181[url][/url]

Thank you.. Did not realize the rupture was so long?? See below copy of ? postred on Personal board
    Hi Mr Don
    Always enjoy your input and references.
    I was looking at the P wave from the (4.9 western indian artic ridge last week now) and was wondering what that energy means if anything? The way it falls over the west coast and the caribbean region seems omnious?? I have never seen the p wave line cross those areas like that. But then again.. I have not been looking at P waves or have any experience in that area. Can constant P wave energy or vibrations affect faults over time?
    Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. Blessings Sara.

Last edited by Conch23 on Tue 02 Mar 2010, 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add copy of previous post)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 7:51 am