Boppin' Along

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Boppin' Along

Forum for earth sensitives, world events, disasters, dreams, prophecies, visions, predictions.. everything and anything welcome here!

3 posters

NY unions turning away non-union electrical workers

johnl
    johnl

NY unions turning away non-union electrical workers Empty NY unions turning away non-union electrical workers

Post  johnl Sun 04 Nov 2012, 11:15 pm

Betty in Texas at EB posted about how NY unions turned away non-union electrical workers.

excerpt --
    But shame on those who turned away out-of-state non-union electrical companies who came there to help...the NE needs all the help they can get...politics should have stayed out of that decision.
    end of excerpt
    -----------------

this was my response:

The unions might've been the main reason that the National Healthcare plan couldn't be completely Single-Pay unless unions were able to keep their own high benefits.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2009/09/why-organized-labor-supports-government-health-care
    excerpt:
    Union support for health care reform does, however, have its limits. In particular, organized labor does not support health care reform for which it might have to help pay.

For example, Senate Democrats considered paying for the health care reform through taxing employer-provided health benefits. Such taxes would have fallen heavily on union members, since both private and public sector unions have negotiated expensive health benefit plans.

When news reports leaked that the Senate was considering such taxes the labor movement moved to quickly derail that idea. A coalition of 30 major unions sent letters to the Senate expressing their "strong opposition to any proposal that would pay for this reform by altering the tax treatment of employer provided health care."[9] Behind the scenes Organized Labor made it clear they opposed and would defeat any health reform that taxed employer health benefits.[10]
    ----------------------

Unions might also be the main reason manufacturing plants and jobs were outsourced to third world countries. From a brief glance at an internet article, R- might want to transfer third world job outsourcing from asia to South America. Just an amateurish conjecture – if the dollar was hyperinflated to pay off national and international debts and changed to the Amero, and trade went to So. America, asian countries stuck with trillions of dollars might be out of luck. Hydraulic fracking and oil from Venezuela could also provide energy resources without having to import from the middle-east. And manufacturing could be pre-dominantly in No. and So. America.

Then the conspiracy theories of the Amero and TTC (Trans-Texas Corridor) might be more than just wild imagination. One possible problem is that hydraulic fracking might cause water pollution and earthquake instability.

John
    beejean
    beejean

NY unions turning away non-union electrical workers Empty Re: NY unions turning away non-union electrical workers

Post  beejean Mon 05 Nov 2012, 11:27 pm

So, I'm not sure...

Are the Unions OK if they let other laborers on their declared turf? Or are they only about unrelenting exclusivity?

We're seeing that they change the face of the workforce composition and benefits. But besides noting that they increased the labor costs of every single American built car by 50% up until 2008, I haven't really been seeing any solid evidence of the indirect costs they're passing on to me.
    Grits
    Grits

NY unions turning away non-union electrical workers Empty Re: NY unions turning away non-union electrical workers

Post  Grits Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:30 am

Yeah, some of the crews that were refused to be allowed to help were from Alabama and Georgia. From what I understand, they were told they MUST join the union before they would be allowed to work. That don't work well with my fellow redneckers...as most southerners would see that as a slap in the face for trying to be nice and neighborly.

I'm pretty sure that some of those suffering in the Hurricane Sandy disaster were probably some of those criticizing the Bush administration for not getting help to Katrina soon enough. I live close enough to Katrina that I saw what was going on. Immediately after the storm hit, I saw many caravans headed that way to lend a hand. My ex-son-in-law and his dad made several trips to Mississippi with food and even a couple of generators that they purchased with their own money. This was multiplied many thousands of times by others doing the same thing. My son and I took a care package (filled my car) to one of my internet friends in Ocean Springs, MS which was hit very hard. I have never seen such devastation as we saw on that trip! Starting just below Montgomery, Al you could tell where the storm had come through by all the dead trees. My friend's mom's house was destroyed and my friend's house had damage but not major. PEOPLE AND CHURCHES were sending help almost immediately to whichever area they could get access to. They were there first, long before FEMA showed up.

What most people don't realize until they have had experience with a hurricane is that they are HUGE storms and cover VAST amounts of affected areas. It is impossible to be in all those places immediately and that is why a person must be prepared on their own. Just a few supplies and knowing how to deal with human waste and other unpleasantries would have made a big difference to those affected.

The point is...don't depend on the GOVERNMENT in these types of situations because they will let you down every time. I feel very bad for some of the misled liberals in the Northeast that think that Government will save them and take care of them because it ain't gonna happen. Mayor Bloomberg not letting the National Guard into some areas because they carry guns really ticked me off as did the union officials turning away expert help. That is one reason I will NEVER live in a large city. In rural areas most just have better survival skills due to not having everything done for them (i.e. in the city, I've read that most don't keep groceries on hand because they eat out for most meals, etc.).

Okay this is turning into a rant, so I'll stop, but FEMA was slow in Katrina just like it is slow in Sandy BECAUSE the damaged areas are so vast that the resources can't reach all the spots at one time. FEMA is not who I would depend on in an emergency, not by a long shot...sigh
    johnl
    johnl

Post  johnl Tue 06 Nov 2012, 3:15 am

hi beejean,

Are the Unions OK if they let other laborers on their declared turf? Or are they only about unrelenting exclusivity?

In the case of hurricane Sandy, IMO, the unions should’ve let good, qualified electrical workers help with getting all the electricity up and running. As it is, a very cold winter storm is coming later in the week, which might catch a lot of people without electricity for heat.

But I agree that unions have helped raise standards of wages and benefits. I work for a non-union company but I was covered by health insurance when I really needed it.

John
    johnl
    johnl

Post  johnl Tue 06 Nov 2012, 3:43 am

hi Grits,

PEOPLE AND CHURCHES were sending help almost immediately to whichever area they could get access to. They were there first, long before FEMA showed up.

What most people don't realize until they have had experience with a hurricane is that they are HUGE storms and cover VAST amounts of affected areas. It is impossible to be in all those places immediately and that is why a person must be prepared on their own. Just a few supplies and knowing how to deal with human waste and other unpleasantries would have made a big difference to those affected.

Townspeople helping each other is an important part of community relations, and often does much more than specialized agencies, especially in a widespread disaster area.

Having said that, I’ve lived the life of a hermit (involuntarily) for much of the last 40 years, but the infrastructure of a city has helped me to carry on, as long as I had athletic skills to play handball and racketball at the YMCA and job skills (programming) to have a job to pay apartment rent. Also, being single, I haven’t had to worry about family responsibilities, potential infidelity, abortions or separation. However, what I’ve never gotten used to, in close quarters working and apartment-living, are the vibes. I feel a little like Lot in S & G.

John

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 2:29 am